I’m so excited to share with you this delicious cupcake recipe I made last night for the Granville Christian Cross Country team! These are German Chocolate cupcakes made from scratch, half with chocolate buttercream and half with a brown sugar cinnamon buttercream on top! They are the perfect look for this wonderful Fall season and I can’t wait to try more buttercream recipes next week! Feel free to leave comments or questions below!
Ingredients (cupcakes – makes 24)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- ¾ cup cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup vegetable or olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon (to taste)
- 4-6 tbsp milk or cream
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
Pre-heat oven to 350º F. Grease your muffin tins or if you’re using cupcake liners, place those into your pan.
In a mixing bowl (I use my Kitchen Aid), add flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir until well combined.
Add milk, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla to flour mixture and mix together on medium speed until well mixed. Reduce the speed to low and add boiling water to the cake batter a little bit at a time. Once the water is all mixed in, beat on high for about 1 minute.
Evenly distribute cupcake batter between your muffin tins.
Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and cool completely.
- While your cupcakes are cooling, place your butter in a stand mixer and beat until pale white.
- Add powdered sugar, brown sugar, & cinnamon and mix on low.
- Add cream & vanilla and mix until well-incorporated then beat on high for about 1-2 minutes.
Frost cupcakes with buttercream frosting & enjoy!