While I did like these cupcakes, this is not my normal cupcake recipe. I also made my homemade lavender buttercream instead of lavender cream cheese frosting since I needed buttercream to use for my macaroons. This recipe also called for dried lavender but I prefer to use essential oils whenever I can while baking. With all that being said, this recipe was a really fun one to do! This was one of the three treats that were featured at the LiveSimple/Treats by Taran Expo that was held this past Sunday. Along with the lavender buttercream, I also made a tangerine buttercream to try out as well! Both were very good and refreshing and went along perfectly with the honey lavender flavored cupcakes. If you’re in need of a new and different cupcake recipe, give this one a shot and comment below to let me know how it goes!
1/2 cup butter room temp
2 eggs room temp
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3 drops of lavender essential oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
2/3 cup milk
8 ounces cream cheese room temp
2 tablespoons butter room temp
1/4 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2-3 drops lavender essential oil
3 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, and the salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, honey, vanilla, and lavender oil (be careful not to add too much of this as the flavor can be overwhelming if you do; beat until combined.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Alternately add flour mixture and milk to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until mixture is combined.
- Spoon batter into lined muffin tins, filling each about half full.
- Bake for 16 to 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean.
- Cool cupcakes in the muffin tin on wire racks for 10 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes from muffin tins. Cool completely on wire racks.
- For the frosting: In large mixing bowl beat cheese, butter, honey, and vanilla with mixer on medium until light and fluffy. Gradually add 1 cup of the powdered sugar, beating well. Gradually beat in remaining powdered sugar to reach spreading consistency.
- Frost the completely cooled cupcakes with the frosting.